Tuesday, November 11, 2008

If This Is DEFENSIVE Driving, Why am I OFFENDED?


This picture is from Defensive Driving, this year at Berea. In this photo at the left, students are filing into a big lecture-type classroom in the science building. I am not sure exactly how many students were there for the three different sessions of this class, but it was probably between 80 and 100 (far from the Berea class average).

I took the class as it was required for my labor position. While I went into it expecting to be bored, I came out of it with a much different reaction. During the "course", there were several video clips shown. Some were from the curriculum videos that share vocabulary terms and specific information about the class. Others, however were "Hollywood movies", ones that had some stretch connection to driving, but weren't officially affiliated. I think that the teacher intentionally chose some "cool" movies we may have seen to peak our interest, as it was a very tiresome class. That is all well and good, except that in both of the two "extra" movies, there was an unexpected nudity scene. Also, there was footage of graphic car wrecks in which cars and people were maimed and deformed. As a whole, the videos were pretty disturbing. Honestly, I didn't learn anything about the course from those clips. Instead, I feel like I was tricked into seeing the things I saw because there was no prior warning. Yes, we are all in college now and technically could see things like that (rated R movies), but I do not think it is wise of a teacher to assume that we all want to. Afterwards, a friend of mine and I went up to the teacher and told him how we felt, that the videos were potentially offensive, and asked him to maybe look into getting some different ones (or at least giving a heads up in advance) before he teaches the next class session. I'm not sure if he will or not but, at least I tried...

As a teacher, I want to use forms of media or technology that my students will be able to connect to. However, if one of those crosses a line of appropriateness, it immediately comes off my list.

I know that when I am a teacher, if I'm doing something that someone tells me is offensive, and I believe they are serious, I am going to try my darndest to change it. Even if it is an essential tenant of the class (which in this case it was NOT), I really will consider some sort of compromise, because I don't think that education should be offensive (with some exceptions, like learning about slavery or the treatment of Native Americans). That does not mean to say that it should not at some times be uncomfortable, because truth is a little painful, inconvenient, and leave you feeling uneasy. That's the point! In order to change the world, you need to be uncomfortable with how a part of it is functioning right now. Some of those uncomfortable truths really need to be learned. However, if there is something totally irrelevant I am doing, just for "fun", or personal gain, and it offends someone and I know about it, then no more.

I struggle with just sitting here and saying "this class sucked", when I know that it was a really hard place to be in. I feel for the teacher and frankly, who am I to say that if I were in his shoes, I could have remedied the situation? I'm not trying to say that. What I do know, is that he had no means of active learning. Instead, it was all lecture or videos. Even just some questions addressed to us every now and then, I think would have kept more people captivated. One thing that was good about this situation and teacher, is that he had a sense of humor. Even though his teaching techniques were not very active, he definitely spiced up the class by being down to earth, personable, and quite hilarious.

However, unfortunately... it was "so close yet so far"...I think his humor crossed a line. He would make very obscene, morbid jokes like "If there's a child in the middle of the road and you can't switch lanes without crashing into a car...square up and hit it", and another time when making a point about people in the back seats of cars flying through the windshield, he made a statement about "that 300 pound mama in the back". Also when describing accidents he has seen, his word choice was really interesting. Like instead of accepting the fragility of the fact that there was human life there once, he would use words like "squished" or "splat" and other words that implied a desensitization to death. I think his attitude had a very negative effect on the students in the class, who of course loved his humor, lived for his jokes, and laughed at practically every word he said. This gave him a recharge and the teacher would proceed to make more jokes. The teacher did not pause to think about how many people had lost loved ones in tragic, graphic car accidents that he was so harshly and bluntly describing. He was not very careful with what he said.

I want to remember as a teacher that I never know how my students relate to what I am saying. So before I tell about how I hate lawyers, I need to pause and consider that one of their parents may be a lawyer. Before I say food stamps are for poorer communities, I need to stop and think about the fact that some of them may use them. I have learned from this experience to be careful and think before I speak.

(<-- I wish someone had! )

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a suggestion for you. Get over it! Its 6 hours of your life yourenever gonna get back. If a instructor has a different type of sense of humor as yours, my suggestion, take the blockbuster course. Defensive driving courses are nothing more than a money driven course sponsored by the Texas Education Agency.

Anonymous said...

im pretty sure ur taking it to far!! ...who cares? its a class u had to take...u took it...now its over..chillax a bit
-with love

Anonymous said...

When you feel offended, you're practicing judgment. You judge someone else to be stupid, insensitive, rude, arrogant, inconsiderate, or foolish, and then you find yourself upset and offended by their conduct. What you may not realize is that when you judge another person, you do not define them. You define yourself as someone who needs to judge others.

Just as no one can define you with their judgments, neither do you have the privilege of defining others. When you stop judging and simply become an observer, you will know the inner peace I'm writing about here. With that sense of inner peace, you'll find yourself free of the negative energy of resentment, and you'll be able to live a life of contentment. A bonus is that you'll find that others are much more attracted to you. A peaceful person attracts peaceful energy.

Not being offended will mean eliminating all variations of the following sentence from your repertoire of available thoughts: "If only you were more like me, then I wouldn't have to be upset right now." You are the way you are, and so are those around you. Most likely they will never be just like you. So stop expecting those who are different to be what you think they should be. It's never going to happen.

It's your ego that demands that the world and all the people in it be as you think they should be. Your higher sacred self refuses to be anything but peaceful, and sees the world as it is, not as your ego would like it to be. When you respond with hatred to hate directed at you, you've become part of the problem, which is hatred, rather than part of the solution, which is love. Love is without resentment and readily offers forgiveness. Love and forgiveness will inspire you to work at what you are for, rather than what you are against. If you're against violence and hatred, you'll fight it with your own brand of violence and hatred. If you're for love and peace, you'll bring those energies to the presence of violence, and ultimately dissolve the hatred.

When Mother Teresa was asked to march against the war in Vietnam, she replied, "No, I won't but when you have a march for peace, I'll be there."

Matt Erickson
myspace.com/ThanksForSpeeding

Unknown said...

Why would you blog about this?!?!

Anonymous said...

While I can understand being upset about being shown graphic videos without prior knowledge of the course, you never know how those videos affected others. There may be people who see those graphic wreckage scenes and have a "come to Jesus" moment. This instructor may have saved lives in previous classes and continues to use these videos because he believes it changes lives.
Take a step back and see the big picture.

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that you are incredibly out of touch with reality. The car wreck scenes were probably to envoke fear into irresponsible drivers, but the fact of the matter is, people do that everyday! The deformities and dismemberments you saw in the video are derived from real life situations. People are killed and deformed and dismembered in car wrecks everyday. And the whole nudity thing? Well..that fact that you are uncomfortable with that makes me think that maybe you're not a college student but perhaps a preteen. Do you blush when you see your naked body in the mirror after a shower?
My suggestion is that you take this blog all the way! Force that defensive driving class to make another class for people like you. The seats will be bean bags and the teacher will wear tye dye. There will be wall to wall flowers and rainbows and ponies. And for media representation? Just turn your eyes to this episode of telletubbies or the wiggles. Because if a person is out there driving wrecklessly I'd much rather them not be offended then confronted with the real life consequences of their actions. Way to go teach!