Monday, November 10, 2008

"I'm Bored Without The Board"
















These are pictures of teachers using the (white/chalk) board to explain something. In the left picture, my GSTR teacher is displaying a wreck scene. On the right, my Eng 110 teacher is asking us which shape best resembles a sonnet...

The teachers in these pictures are using the board as a prop, a tool, an instrument to serve as a bridge and perhaps reach our minds better. I am really a fan of using the boards to demonstrate or represent things, sometimes that can't be described with words. Also, diagrams like venn diagrams,
One of my teachers (Eng 110) writes the agenda in marker on the board for every class. Some might argue that it is elementary, or it leaves us students anxious to move on to the next thing so that we can be finished with class. I however, argue in favor of keeping that method. I really think that children need structure. Especially in modern-day, 21st century America when 1 in what is it, 3 (?) children is being diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. Even those that aren't, still need to have some schedule they can rely on, some consistence of when and how we do things (whether it's snack, bathroom, reading, lunch- or something else). Of course some learning experiences will be surprising, but at least there will be some underlying foundations of what they know is going on and can rest assure in.

As a teacher, I want to have some sort of agenda somewhere. If I decide to teach elementary, I could probably laminate it and get velcro pieces to put on the back of an arrow or something that could move and point to a standard sheet of agenda components (i.e. lunch, recess, math, reading, etc.). If I am a middle or high school level teacher, I would feel comfortable either printing my students off a sheet or, (save the trees! Remember Berea!) writing it in a corner of the board before class starts. This way, it is not the focus of the lesson, yet students can refer back to it as a point to orient themselves, like a compass, on where we are and how much progress we are making in class. I think that idea could have some potential to distract, but it also has equally valid potential to bring some students in, who may have drifted off for a minute.

I also have learned more about the nature of learning by observing my teachers and the way that they choose to go about doing things. I have an earlier post on reading aloud. I wrote about how that was calling attention to audio learners. In a future post I hope to address my Health & Wellness class when we have activity days in the gym, which would be classified as kinestetic learning. This entry however, is supposed to address visual learning. Visual learners may be the most prevalent among children/people. For this reason, I really need to pay attention to what I'm about to write (that sounds funny). I need to use the board as much as possible. Even if not everyone is a visual learner, I don't think that visualizing something hurts/negatively affects any type of learner. At worst, I think it is neutral.



Visually representing some idea (especially when complicated or easily forgettable) can be life-saving, and certainly articulate something completely new and improved way. Not to mention, if the teacher is terrible at drawing, all the better! It shows that even we as teachers have some weaknesses, lack some skills, just like other humans. Humility leads to being a servant, and people talking to you more real-ly. Besides, it helps to readjust some brain food that has been gained. Seeing a word written makes someone more likely to remember it. Writing it down makes it even more likely, but one thing at a time. Baby steps!

I will try to balance all of the learning types/styles, but CERTAINLY including visual. Also, I don't want to be ambiguous about why I am teaching in certain ways. I don't want to assume that my students know which learning style best suits them. I plan to provide some way (either a quiz/survey, or just my explanation of the different types) for them to evaluate themselves and try to get a sense of which way they best learn.

No comments: