This picture is displaying the activity where we (after making our starch/glue flubber goop), in a group were to come up with a story about a mad scientist. Through this, we were learning about other subject matters within one central activity. Making the starch/glue could be a way to learn about science (chemicals, substance reactions) and math (measuring). Then however, adding on the mad scientist story assignment throws a creativity and English exploration into the mix. We had to review (and submit to) the web chart.
What I liked about my group (see left) was that we were very balanced. Amber and I alternated writing, and Brittney (sp) contributed a lot of ideas about the building details. I am almost glad we didn't know that this planning session would never actually materialize into a real story, and we wouldn't follow up on the assignment because if I knew that were the case, I may have not put as much energy into it. Instead, we really took it seriously and enjoyed the brainstorming process, which was also multi-tasked learning. From this experience, I gained the knowledge that a visual representation of planning is very helpful. I don't think any child would be bothered, or unhelped by a visual aid of some lesson (even if some may be "neutral"). I think it is a good thing to remember when teaching, to use the help of a chalkboard, picture, diagram, etc. whenever possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment