Thursday, September 25, 2008

Glue + Starch = Inquiry?









This is a picture of me handling my glue/starch concoction. My facial expression tells all-I am a combination of amused, but still a little wary (and grossed out) of what I'm messing with-or rather, what is making a mess out of me. I learned in this activity that mistakes are part of growing. I was also humbled to find out that my predictions were way off before testing them. It is almost impossible to be given a "hands on" individual assignment, at a table with other people doing the same thing, and not observe them. I gained lessons of what not to do, and what worked really well, by watching the people beside and around me. I also learned that sometimes, the only way to reach an activity's full potential is by letting go of all my reservations or pet peeves (getting wet flubber all over my fingers) and just getting in there. I feel like this was an adequate representation of inquiry because it was all about questioning(inquiring)-what we thought we knew before, what other people were doing, what the instructions said, etc. We were given little guidance at all from the teacher (which was a really cool and different experience), and were sort of "on our own" for discovering. There was not really a "right" or "wrong" answer; but no one could get away with not learning something. A lot of ideas led to other ones and once getting into it, it was a domino effect of realization. I learned that when I am challenged with something that intrigues me, I become determined to figure it out even if it requires me to be out of my comfort zone.

No comments: